Four months ago, if I asked my “former” self the following questions, it would go something like this:
- Could you make the changes needed to lose over 20 lbs.? “No, I don’t have the discipline.”
- Would lifting weights be something you would even try? “Nope, I’m not even remotely athletic or interested in doing anything which involves sweating.”
- Does exercising everyday sound even possible? “EVERYDAY? Who has time?”
- Do you dream of going down from a size 14 to a size 8? “Nope, not even in my dreams! Ha!”
- Could you ever be the weight you were in your early 20s, before you had kids? “I’m 50 yrs. old, that was a lifetime and 2 kids ago. Definitely not happening.”
Now, I’m generally a pretty positive person, but when it came to my health/appearance/body, I had just come to accept that I’m middle aged, and getting healthy and strong was just too hard for me.
My “turning point” came when I returned from a European vacation not able to keep up with all the walking. I was miserable and tired the entire time. I realized that the way I was living – what I ate, the lack of exercise, working too much – all of that was literally “killing” me. I needed to make a drastic change. I needed help.
I prayed about it, and remembered Sarah from church. She told me her story about her transformation and how she’s living healthily and so much happier, so I reached out to her. She told me about Imago’s transformation program.
The past 4 months at Imago have been absolutely wonderful. There is no magic pill or potion. The program involves changing your diet, exercising, and lifting weights – and a lot of hard work! Coach Huong and Sarah provided all the guidance, support, and encouragement I needed to make changes.
- First was meal planning and portion control. I stuck with the meal plans, and never felt starved. Coach would incorporate suggestions I made for any flavors I was craving – Mexican, Thai, Japanese. I learned to prepare meals in advance and store them in single serving portions. This greatly ensured I always had a healthy meal to eat, and would not just grab whatever was convenient.
- Second was incorporating exercise into my schedule. I learned to wake up at 5am every morning to workout. I’m not a morning person! But now I look forward to my workouts because when I’m done, I feel I’ve accomplished something right at the start of my day – it sets the tone for being productive the rest of my day.
- Third was not being afraid of lifting weights. The personal training sessions really taught and showed me how strong I could be. Sarah and Coach showed me proper technique so I wouldn’t get hurt. They also encouraged and pushed me past what I thought I was capable of – I trusted their expertise and was pleased with how my body got toned, and my “shape” actually changed! I always thought my body shape was “out of my control”. Some people just got the genes to have a better shape. But lifting weights opened my eyes to see you can literally change your shape. Whoa! What a revelation!
With these changes, I saw results every week during my weigh ins. When you follow the program, you see results!
Now that I’ve completed the transformation program, I couldn’t be happier! Coach and Sarah were the answer to my prayers! I’m literally in the best shape of my life… all 50 years of it. Even when I was young, I never felt as strong or disciplined. With what I’ve learned from being at Imago, I am equipped to continue healthy living for the rest of my life. Here are the lifestyle lessons learned:
- You can still enjoy food, going out, parties – you don’t need to starve yourself. Just eat appropriate size portions and make healthy choices.
- Keep moving with something you can maintain and enjoy. For me it’s exercising on the treadmill with my favorite playlist.
- Keep challenging body – incorporate new moves or use different weights.
- Healthy living lowers my risk for heart issues, diabetes, hypertension, and knee problems which all run in my family.
- Most importantly, IT’S NEVER TOO LATE TO MAKE A CHANGE! Four months is such a small amount of time to make a permanent change in your body and life, no matter your age!